Hi Amy,

Barn burners can be a composite of many things -- choreography, tunes, tempo,
dancer skill. Also the caller's voice if used well. One of the greatest BB
dances I ever danced to was at a festival with a festival orchestra/band
playing a rousing Chorus Jig.

But I like moves like down-the-hall, or one or two balances, or a hey that
dancers just flow into (as in "Rockin' Robin" or "Anastasia"). And not a high
piece count, so the dance is easy on tired brains, especially when the band
kicks into a higher tempo. Like increasing the tempo slightly on a tune-change.
And the dance not too long -- following the old vaudeville principle of
"leave'em wanting more".

For example, a dance with a couple of well-placed balances, ending the medley
with "Music for a Found Harmonium" can be a capstone of barn-burning
excitement. (-- with the right band, of course.)

Woody
Roseburg, OR