Hi Tony,

              In my notation I assumed the trapping.  The original version
doesn’t specify it.

              It is from Community Dances Manual 5, copyright 1957, so it
precedes the American versions.  But… it says, “taking a hint from the American
“Eternal Triangle””,  Any idea what that dance was?

              Here is the text from CDM 5 (1957):

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

21. TRIPLE PROMENADE OR SILLY THREESOME

Devised by Kenneth and Sybil Clark, taking a hint from the American “Eternal
Triangle”.

Music: Any Reel or Jig

Form: 3 behind 3, each man with 2 partners, ballroom direction around the room.
Spare men may hover in the centre until B.2. when they join in the tunnelling
and compete for partners.

A.1. Forward in threes.

A.2. Arm right twice with right partner and left with left.

B.1. As A.1.

B.2. Girls form stationary arches for the men to tunnel under till, the music
unexpectedly stopping, all form new lines of three.

Repeat after minimum break.

In A.2. the M.C. may decide to call any other figure – reel of 3, basket,
double arching, etc. – or, if the men have sufficient initiative, he may leave
it to them to indicate their choice to the partners of the moment.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

              Note: this is not the language that we would use today.  Remember
this was 1957!

              Note: It was an M.C., not a caller!

              If I am calling it in a gender-free environment then I tell them
that they can put a different person in the middle after the Basket.  For
beginners I use an Inside Basket.

            Happy dancing,

                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802 940