"I'm not sure where the notion of male/female couples being
'traditional' came from"

I'm very much in favor of anyone being able to dance any role, have
been separated from the person I asked to dance because there weren't
"enough men to go around", dance both roles a similar amount, and
think the long history of same-gender dancing is great.  But
opposite-gender dancing is "traditional" in the same sense that almost
everything else we call "traditional" is: because that's how it was
usually done for a long time.  That doesn't at all mean we need to
stick with it, as is the case with any tradition, but I don't think
it's useful to push back on people using that phrasing.

Jeff