From: Woody Lane via Contra Callers <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2024 12:22 AM
To: Shared Weight Contra Callers <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Subject: [Callers] Re: [External] Re: Wanting to learn more about Becky Hill -
the choreographer

Sandy Bradley was THE premier caller of her time, for community dances. She
called squares, of course, and party games and fun simple dances. But when she
got up on a stage (or chair) and began to call, the energy in the room went
through the roof. It was so much fun to be on the dance floor when she called!

(BTW, one of Sandy's contemporaries, another great caller, was John McCutcheon.
The same folksinger who is well-known for the song "Christmas in the Trenches".)

I first learned to call from Sandy when she came to the Augusta Dance Week
(Elkins, West Virginia) in 1979 with the Gypsy Gyppo String Band -- when Warren
Argo was in it and he was still slim. Sandy conducted a caller's workshop every
afternoon for the week. A few of us tried it out. I had never held a microphone
before or given instructions to an actual crowd of people. That week changed my
life.

One thing I still remember that Sandy told us novice callers: She said that
after the evening is over and people are leaving, if they are smiling and had a
good time and wanted to come back again to dance in the future . . . they may
not remember your name as the caller, but you've done your job.

Woody
--
Woody Lane
Caller, Percussive Dancer