When the choreography calls for a right-hand allemande with a shadow (or
neighbor, either same-role or opposite-role), I may mention in the second
walk through that if you're comfortable turning that allemande into a
swing, you're welcome to do so.

This presumes the flow to the next move wouldn't be impeded, nor that the
crowd is full of dancers who are chronically late to end swings.

Only very rarely — maybe twice in over 20 years of calling — have I
explicitly called for a dedicated shadow swing.

— Jerome Grisanti