I have a few shadow swing dances in my collection. I don't know why I keep
them because I don't call them.

There is a history of problem dancers (PDs) in my area who are typically
male presenting, and robins complain that these people stalk them, both in
the dance hall and outside, hold them too closely, are rough, etc. These
PDs also tend to make rude remarks, especially to LGBTQ+ dancers. People
avoid them at all costs. There used to be a few folks I would avoid for
those same reasons. To be sure, I always asked them to stop their
troublesome behavior, but there was a handful who refused to comply.

Forming a club of "acceptable only" dancers? No. Training those PDs is my
goal, both as a caller and as a dance organizer. My fellow organizers and I
have been taking statements from complainants, talking to the PDs about
their behavior, and suggesting alternatives. If it gets heated we ask them
to take a break from dancing until they can behave more politely.

That's why I don't call shadow swings.

To be clear, our community has, as a whole, gotten way more accepting of
gender fluidity/queer, and is a very welcoming body. That means that folks
who don't want to accept dancers they think are too different from them
don't attend as often as they used to. It's also known in the area that we
organizers don't tolerate bad behavior.

I think if you told the dancers before line-up that you're going to call a
shadow-swing dance it would give them a chance to choose their spots with
that in mind.

-Amy