From: controller-dev-boun...@lists.opendaylight.org
[mailto:controller-dev-boun...@lists.opendaylight.org] On Behalf Of Anil Vishnoi
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:32 AM
To: Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk>
Cc: controller-dev@lists.opendaylight.org; mdsal-...@lists.opendaylight.org
Subject: Re: [controller-dev] [mdsal-dev] How to increase the timeout value for
a commit operation to the data store ?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Robert Varga <n...@hq.sk<mailto:n...@hq.sk>>
wrote:
On 16/05/17 20:40, Anil Vishnoi wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I think it depends on the use case for which user is using cohort. For
> example If user have a use case where it sends very few rest request to
> the controller from northbound side but want to make sure it runs all
> the possible checks against that data to make sure that it can avoid any
> wrong configuration (according to the use case and not really as per
> yang schema). In general i agree with you that anything that takes more
> then 5 second, it's better to probably write that logic in the
> application rather than in the cohort, but we don't know all the use
> cases people use it for. So i think having a config knob (with default
> value to 5 second or lower) will give user an option to change it
> (increase or decrease) as per their usecase.

Note that this fires for any change in the registered subtree and no
other transactions involving that shard can make forward progress until
the cohort finishes preCommit().

This API is very strict and should be used only as a last resort at this
point. As the associated documentation states very explictly, any bugs
in a user of the API has cluster-wide consequences which manifest as
'CDS is broken'.
​I think it's pretty clear from the documentation.​

That implies you should not be talking to the data store and expect it
to respond in the cohort -- which begs the question: what sort of
validation takes more than 5 seconds?
​I think given the context API sets, even 1 second is a high value, so what
kind of transaction can even take 5 seconds, let aside more than 5 second ? For
example for my application I might even prefer to use 1 second, but there is no
way to configure it as of now. So rather than assuming that no cohort will take
more then 5 second, let user decide what value they want to use based on their
use case.

Bye,
Robert

--