On 20/07/17 22:57, Xingjun Chu wrote:
> I found this question on user mailing list, kind of interesting .  Any
> comments from controller team.
>

> Regards
>
> Xingjun

[+openflowplugin-dev, +l2switch-dev]

> 1. Is there any estimation on the bandwidth of inter-controller traffic?
> I measured this bandwidth on port 2550 and found it rather large. For
> example, for a 3-node cluster over a linear topology of 50 switches, the
> leader sends traffic as much as 10 Mbps to any follower. Is it common?

From the CDS side, it depends on the number and kind of transactions
executed. Also Carbon should have better Leader->Follower efficiency.

From the OF side, I think OFP gathers stats as fast as possible, hence
that traffic should be pretty much constant.

> 2. Is it possible to assign controllers to switches in a partitioning
> way? For example, I have 6 switches and 3 controllers. And I want to:
>
> Assign switch 1, 2 *only* to controller A;
>
> Assign switch 3, 4 *only* to controller B;
>
> Assign switch 5, 6 *only* to controller C.
>
> Does ODL cluster support such setting? When I tried this, the L2 Switch
> did not work well.

This is an question on OFP mostly. I am not sure what OFP allows for and
what l2switch is doing (and how).

From the perspective of spreading datastore load, Carbon CDS has
preliminary support for having per-switch shards. The OFP part is not
there and it needs to be tested -- which makes it probably Oxygen material.

Regards,
Robert