On Wed, 2 May 2001, Stephen Thomas wrote:

> I just reread your response. I hope you do not misunderstand me.
>
> I have setup a web server on my network behind the firewall. This is the web
> that I can not access.
>

> I CAN access Mandrake Secerity's Web frontend for configuring the firewall
> with no problems.
>
> The problems I am having is accessing my Apache Web server from the internal
> network.

Oh, this is easier. Because the firewall is not involved. Since your
local machines and the web server are (or should be) on the same subnet
then the question is why can you not see the Web server.

1. Try to ping the IP number of the web server e.g. 192.168.1.xx

2. Try to connect to the IP number of the web server from your browsers.

3. You can also ssh to the firewall and then see if you can make a text
only connection to your web server using the text web client lynx.
i.e. lynx 192.168.1.xx

My suspicion is that these will all work.

Since you are not likely to have a DNS server working on your local subnet
(e.g. 192.168.1.xx) you probably cannot connect via the host name. Your
web server will not have a name internally. You can make names work on the
local network by adding an entry to /etc/hosts on the local machine (the
one with the Web browser) if that will make your life easier.

Now if the problem is that machines on the outside of the firewall cannot
see the web server then it is time to look back at the firewall.

Eric