Hello,

        I have been fighting with SNF, trying to get a DNS Server to work with
port forwarding.  The DNS Server works fine if the machine that it is on
has a real ip.  When I move it behind SNF, I start having troubles.  I
have been testing the dns server with the host command from a computer
on the private network.

        First let me say that I have port forwarded several services through the
Firewall, and all to the same server that is running DNS.  These are
ftp, http, ssh, pop3, imap, dns, smtp.  The first test was to a external
name server, to look up yahoo.com and it worked great.  Then I pointed
the same request to my dns server and that too worked great!!  So I
pointed a request to my dns server for a domain that is handling.  That
too worked well.  But when I pointed this same request to a external dns
server, it failed.  All dns request originating from behind the firewall
will work, but if the dns request originates from the internet, it will
fail???

        I turned on logging of all denyed packets, and there are no packets from
these request being denyed.  All other forwarded services work well.
What could be the problem???  Has anyone had simular problems???  I saw
the earlier discussion of the FTP and transparent proxy conflict
problem, could this be a simular problem???  Any help would be wonderfull!!

Thanks,

Joseph