A few more points that might make things easier.

First, about your upgrade card.  IIRC (and my memory is usually pretty
good ;) many of the upgrade cards require you to use an extension in your
MacOS Sytem Folder.  The extension has too boot very early in your
booting.  So typically, folks rename the extension by adding a ~ before
the name, and that makes MacOS load the extension right before Bootx
loads.  So if the extension is called UpgradeCard, rename it to something
like ~aUpgradeCard and it will boot before ~BootX.

The iso and Old wowrld machines.  The problem is this.  Old World machines
must use bootx, they can't use yaboot.  The installer on the iso disks
forces you to use yaboot.  So at the end of the install, when everything
is almost done (except xconfiguration), the installer says "You can't
proceed because I can't see your yaboot-required bootstrap
partition" (more or less ;)  So, you have to reboot, and you'll have a
functioning sytem, but it won't have a configured xwindows environment.

Another issue is this:  your old world machine does not have built-in usb.
So when you start the first time, you must use chkconfig to make the usb
not start.  Do this:

reboot after the install.
Set your root partition in bootx--you'll see how to do this, but if not,
ask.
Then add kernel arguments:
failsafe textboot

That will eventually get you to a shell.  Then you need to:
chkconfig --list
You'll see that usb is set to run at boot on several runlevels.
Then:
chkconfig --level 2345 usb off
Then reboot.  And you should be good to go.

I also think there may be a  kernel argument needed to get the installer
running on Old World machines.

root=/dev/ram3 textboot

I'm not positive about that, but if you have problems getting the
installer to run, that may help (add it to kernel args in bootx).
I have 2 Old World machines that I installed this cooker release on,
so I confuse them a little.

HTH

Jeff