Hi there.  Back again with some news.

I recently got my new memory (2 sticks of 512MB each) for my iMac DV
(memory is so incredibly inexpensive now!).  I installed the memory &
booted into Linux - only to find that only 512MB was detected.  Damn.
 My first thought was that it was a hardware problem - maybe my iMac
wasn't *really* capable of handling 1G of memory.  So, I booted into
MacOS (native) - and it saw 1G of memory, no hardware problem here,
apparently.  Rebooted and somehow OS 9.1 had scrambled my bootstrap,
because I only got a '?' folder - then a boot into MacOS :( - this
happened before and I knew how to take care of it - boot into rescue
from the CD and chroot/ybin - no problem.  Except that apparently the
kernel on the CD (2.2.19) can't handle having that much memory around -
I didn't really know what to do at first, then I hit on some notes and
booted into rescue mode with the flag 'mem=128M' - which worked fine.  I
did my thing and got back into Linux.  I supplied my 2.4.4-6.2 kernel
with the flag 'mem=1024M' - but it still didn't see the 1G of memory,
only 512MB.  So, I'm recompiling the kernel w/ High Memory Support
enabled - hopefully that's what I need and hopefully it works well on
Mandrake PPC :)

I'll report back if I have any problems - just wanted to throw this out
in case (a) anyone else runs into the problem or (b) you want to specify
something in the install instructions or modify the boot kernel in some
way shape or form to automagically figure this out.  Basically an FYI
like the subject says :)

-Brice

--
WebProjkt, Inc.