On Saturday 18 August 2001 05:56, Stew Benedict wrote:

> I wish I could duplicate the issues you guys are having, but I have access
> to zero OldWorld machines.  Since you're using BootX, have you tried using
> a known good kernel from say, LinuxPPC to kick off the install?  Any
> subsequent modules the installer tries to add will fail, but you may be
> able to proceed anyway.  There really are only 2 integrated Mac SCSI
> controller options in the kernel source, mesh and mac53c94, but it could
> be an issue of flakiness when using them as a module, rather than part of
> a monolithic kernel.

My attempts with rc1 on an 8500 met with similar results as the 4400 and 7200
reports. I did try the latest Debian 2.2 kernel and a Yellowdog 2.0 kernel to
see if I could get further. Neither of those resulted in the kernel panic and
they both allowed me to get to the CDROM, however, they both died before the
Mandrake Install screen finished painting. Maybe the 48M of RAM in the 8500
isn't quite enough. When I get a chance, I'll see what happens if I add
another 32 M.

Rick
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]