Hi,

> On 10 Oct 2001 16:11:03 -0500, Michael Weisman wrote:
> > My G4 Sawtooth plays sound through the internal speaker, even when something
> > is plugged into the speaker jack on the back. I have had this problem with
> > every distro I have tried (Linux/PPC, SuSe, Yellow Dog, and Mandrake).
> > Anyone know of a fix for this?

> You can add the iMac to that. In addition, both internal and external
> speakers continue to play even when headphones are plugged in.

There is no fix, it is a feature.  Actually MacOS detects that you have
plugged in the headphones and switches the speakers off in software.  The
simple fix is to use the mixer to adjust the different sound levels.
There is a separate slider for headphones.  I do not have either of these
machines but you could try the mixers and hope that there are independent
internal and external controls.  Take your pick from aumix, xmixer, kmix,
gmix etc

Good luck,

Q.

If you have a microphone attached then turning up the sound-in and the
sound-out can allow you to communicate with dogs + bats!