Hi,

I am trying to build the latest kernel from penguinppc.org and having a
problem. I am just wondering if there is some Mandrake specific
configuration that I don't know about. I used to do this all the time
when I used linuxppc but have never built one with Mandrake (or any other
distro for that matter)

Basically it seems to hang at the point where the scsi driver is being
loaded for scsi emulation for my cd burner on an ibook2 (which also
happens to be one of the first things that happens in the boot so the
driver may not be significant). It complains a few times that / is not
mounted and then stops booting. I followed the ibook specific instructions
on ibooklinux.net so I think I haven't misconfigured the kernel. I also am
fairly confident that I didn't screw up the yaboot.conf entry because I
have written many a yaboot.conf when I used linuxppc and yaboot isn't even
included in the install so you have to set it up yourself. I made the
entry look exactly like the ones made by the install except changed the
named of the image and label. I'm not sure why they use ramdisk because I
thought that was for installs but I gave yaboot.conf the ramdisk entries
just like the ones made by the install.

So now that I've probably given too much information, is there something I
don't know about in the Mandrake distro that I could screw up making my
kernel never mount / that I didn't have to do back when I used linuxppc?

Thanks if anyone can give me any pointers, but I understand you all don't
consider this an appropriate question for the cooker list and decide not
to answer. I hope someone does though.

Ryan Boder
http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~rtb