Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 2:15 PM
Subject: Bootable CD on oldworld hardware?

How come the MDK 8.2b2 CD is not bootable on OldWorld hardware? This would make it possible to install MDK on OldWorld machines without needing a MacOS partition / CD. It's quite easy to make the CD OldWorld bootable, take a look at LinuxPPC's 2KQ4 CD. It contains a "fake" system folder that tricks Apples bootrom into booting the CD. I use this system folder on a small hfs /boot partition to kick off the installer and later to boot the system on a PPC6500/250. Quite a lot nicer than BootX (no offence, BootX is nice too ;-)).

OK, my first impressions of MDK 8.2b2 PPC:
1) The CD is not oldworld bootable ;-)
2) Way too much memory is allocated to the ramdisk, on a 64mb system it won't run. About 25mb for ramdisk should do it.
3) For some reason the 2.4 installer crashed on me (when starting X).
4) The textmode installer bummed out with a missing keymap.magic, or something like that (after loading the stage2 ramdisk).
5) After reducing the memory allocatted for the ramdisk, the 2.2 X installer worked like a charm! Great pice of software there!
6) I think it would be safer to disable harddrake by default, on a number of occations it froze my system.

All in all, my PPC6500/250mhz/64mb ram runs like a champ. I'm looking forward to doing some stress testing on it, as I could never make it run Yellowdog without frequent lockups in X.

/Stig