Hi Leon
Ah, 9600/300, nice. I have a 9500/180MP, with a SMP kernel it's quite speedy
:-)

OK, I've talked about this before on comp.os.linux.powerpc, and a nice guy,
Alan Turner, put it on his webpage.
His page is at: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~aturner/7200boot.html and my
contribution is at: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~aturner/yaboot.txt

In yaboot.conf, you need to remove the device paths, like this:
Original yaboot.conf (ok, this is from yellowdog 2.0, but MDK 8.2 looks the
same).

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux CD Installer!\nHit <TAB> for
boot options.\n\n"
timeout = 30
default = install-gui

image = hd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = hd-install
    initrd = hd:,\\\\ramdisk-text.image.gz

image = hd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = hd-install-novideo
    initrd = hd:,\\\\ramdisk-text.image.gz
    novideo

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk-text.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install-novideo
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk-text.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384
    novideo

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install-gui
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk-x11.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = cd-linux

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = cd-linux-novideo
    novideo

My yaboot.conf

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux CD Installer!\nHit <TAB> for
boot options.\n\n"
timeout = 30
default = boot

image = vmlinux
    label = boot
    root = /dev/sdb7
    video=atyfb:vmode:17,cmode:8

image = vmlinux.old
    label = old
    root = /dev/sdb7
    video=atyfb

image = vmlinux.old
    label = install
    initrd = ramdisk-text.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384

image = vmlinux.old
    label = install-novideo
    initrd = ramdisk-text.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384
    novideo

image = vmlinux.old
    label = install-gui
    initrd = ramdisk-x11.image.gz
    initrd-size=16384
    video=atyfb

With these alterations, the installer will look for the first stage ramdisk
in /boot, so you need to copy all.gz and all-2.2.gz from the CD to the /boot
hfs partition (this would be ramdisk-text.image.gz and ramdisk-x11.image.gz
on YDL 2.0).

If you do not have a lot of memory, lower the "initrd-size", to make the
installer run. I'd also suggest that you use the 2.2 X11 installer (video
must be set to ofonly), it was the only one that worked for me.

Hope this helps.
/Stig