On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Tom Loscheider wrote:

> I have a G3/350 Blue/White Rev-1 Mac with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.
> The card and the external Sony CDU948S CD-R drive are both recognized in the
> boot process. However, the drive cannot be mounted.  I get "Could not enter
> directory /mnt/cdrom2"
>

> ***
> grep cdrom /etc/fstab
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/hde,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
> dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
>
> ***
> dmesg | grep CD
> hde: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8583, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
>   Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-R   CDU948S    Rev: 1.0j
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> ***
> Looking at /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0 there is nothing but an empty
> directory.
>
> /dev/cdroms contains cdrom0 but nothing else.
>
> I saw the CD-R referred to as sr0 rather than scd0 somewhere, but I can't
> find it again.
>
> As you can see, the SCSI drive is a second drive and a CD-R. The IDE drive
> works fine, so fstab is set up right, but I think this is a kernel device
> problem with 8.2 beta.
> The same card, cables, and drive work fine in Mac OS-9.x and on a PIII Intel
> box with MDK 8.1. There are no SCSI bus problems and the only variable is 8.2
> beta.
>
> I see someone else has almost exactly the same problem:
> http://www.mandrake.com/en/archives/cooker-ppc/2002-02/msg00251.php

Is the scsi controller module loaded? Take a look at /proc/scsi, as well
as /sbin/lsmod.  You may need an entry in /etc/modules.conf.

You could also try disabling supermount on that drive and mounting it by
hand. I've seen some mention on main cooker of ill effects using
supermount with burners anyway.

You could also try booting with devfs disabled, to see if that is driving
the problem:

devfs=nomount in the yaboot.conf append line

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc