On Friday 08 March 2002 05:40 am, you wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Tom Loscheider wrote:
> > I have a G3/350 Blue/White Rev-1 Mac with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.
> > The card and the external Sony CDU948S CD-R drive are both recognized in
> > the boot process. However, the drive cannot be mounted.  I get "Could not
> > enter directory /mnt/cdrom2"
> >

> > ***
> > grep cdrom /etc/fstab
> > /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
> > dev=/dev/hde,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
> > /mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
> > dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
> >
> > ***
> > dmesg | grep CD
> > hde: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8583, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> >   Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-R   CDU948S    Rev: 1.0j
> >   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >
> > ***
> > Looking at /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0 there is nothing but an
> > empty directory.
> >
> > /dev/cdroms contains cdrom0 but nothing else.
> >
> > I saw the CD-R referred to as sr0 rather than scd0 somewhere, but I can't
> > find it again.
> >
> > As you can see, the SCSI drive is a second drive and a CD-R. The IDE
> > drive works fine, so fstab is set up right, but I think this is a kernel
> > device problem with 8.2 beta.
> > The same card, cables, and drive work fine in Mac OS-9.x and on a PIII
> > Intel box with MDK 8.1. There are no SCSI bus problems and the only
> > variable is 8.2 beta.
> >
> > I see someone else has almost exactly the same problem:
> > http://www.mandrake.com/en/archives/cooker-ppc/2002-02/msg00251.php
>
> Is the scsi controller module loaded? Take a look at /proc/scsi, as well
> as /sbin/lsmod.  You may need an entry in /etc/modules.conf.
>
> You could also try disabling supermount on that drive and mounting it by
> hand. I've seen some mention on main cooker of ill effects using
> supermount with burners anyway.
>
> You could also try booting with devfs disabled, to see if that is driving
> the problem:
>
> devfs=nomount in the yaboot.conf append line
>
> Stew Benedict

Stew,
Thanks for the quick reply AND all the hard work.

None of this helped. It is as if the kernel doesn't recognize the device is a
cd-rom. It does see the drive at the proper place in the scsi chain. The
drive is correctly reported after booting in the KDE Control Center >
Information > SCSI, and during boot process.

 I did some experimenting with different scsi devices. If I add a hard drive,
the kernel creates correct device files in /dev/scsi/*. It does the same with
ide devices. BUT, it doesn't do a thing with a scsi CD other than create an
empty /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0.  I tried two different cd drives
with the same result.
It doens't seem to recognize that it is a CD-Rom drive or a block device even
though it correctly gets the info from the drive at boot:
/var/log/messages
<snip>
Mar  8 11:45:56 G3 kernel:   Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-R   CDU948S    Rev:
1.0j
Mar  8 11:45:56 G3 kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI
SCSI revision: 02
Mar  8 11:45:56 G3 kernel: scsi1 : MESH

I'm also getting a boot message that is something like "/etc/rc.d/rc.modules
line 17 234 segmentation fault" that might be related. I can't find the error
in any of the logs, but it does flash by during the boot messages.

Coud this be a bug?
Thanks
Tom L