Okay I got my laptop back from Apple on Friday.  So I tried to install
8.2 again.  Here's what I found out.

I tried to do the following.  Install using the 8.2b1 cd and choosing a
ftp source (my local mirror).  I got booted up and choose my airport
(btw stew that support is awesome, saves me from dragging out a network
cable).  Stage2 loads fine.  I setup my partition names and hit ok and
it asks for format.  Formats fine (I've verified this by mounting the
paritions via 8.0 by hand).  However when it tries to mount the
partition it says "An error occurred mount failed: No such device."

I've tried various different file systems (ext2, ext3, reiserfs).  I
changed my randisk_size to 32000 and 60000 (it actually wouldn't boot
stage2 with 32000).  I tried not formating the partition.  I tried
deleting some of them and redoing my partition table.  No matter what I
always get this.  At this point in time I'm unable to get to a terminal
to see exactly more details on this error.

So I try just to boot and go off the 8.2b1 cd.  It goes right past this
and I get a package selection.  So it's something that's been done in
the installer since the beta 1 cd was made.

Stew, whatever you need me to do to help you here let me know.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi