On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Peter R. Wood (Lists) wrote:

> Greetings Cookers,
>
> Here is the longer installation report I promised. This is not intended to
> try and solve my problems; rather, it is for reference in the list archives
> and for information to the developers. I have not made any attempts to fix
> the problems I encountered (obviously I will do this later), I just wanted
> to write an objective report of my installation and first run.
>
> Installation System:
> Apple PowerBook G3 2000 (Pismo)
>
> Stock Config:
> 400 MHz G3, 10 gig hdd, 24x cd/dvd-rom, ATI Rage Mobility 128 w/16 megs vram
>
> Non-Stock Config:
> 320 megs ram, Apple Airport card
>
> Peripherals (some tested, some not):
> Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (4 buttons + scroll wheel, USB) (tested)
> Dazzle USB CF card reader (somewhat tested)
> Nikon Coolpix 775 direct USB connect (not tested)
> Handspring Visor USB sync (not tested, but it will probably work fine)
> HP DeskJet 940c USB (somewhat tested)
> CanoScan N650U USB scanner (not tested, probably won't work as it uses a
> proprietary interface, not SANE)
> iPod in firewire disk mode (not tested)
>
> Installed via:
> CD-ROM [burned with Roxio EasyCD Creator 5 under Windows XP, from 8.2 beta
> ISO's]
>
> Install method:
> install-aty128fb
>
> Notes on install process:
> Booted up by inserting Cooker CD 1 and holding down 'c' key.  Booted up into
> install-chooser screen just fine.  Chose install-aty128fb option. Then,
> chose CD install option. Install app loaded from CD ok.
> Graphics and video looked good - no video card problems using the aty128fb
> installer.
> Went with expert installation. Setup of peripherals went ok, except that the
> mouse config does not seem to acknowledge the scrolling of my scroll wheel.
> It does acknowledge the clicking of the scroll wheel, but not the scrolling.
> [Note: once system was up and running, scroll wheel worked fine under X]

I think I've seen this reported on x86 too.  Seemed the resonse was you
need to keep rolling it  a looong time?

> The package installation went fine.  I chose the packages I wanted and they
> installed without problems, it prompted me properly for the second CD when
> needed. I periodically switched to VT3 to check on the installer progress,
> and saw no problems there.
>
> In the post-install config, most things went ok. The only thing that I
> noticed, and this is not so much a bug but an annoyance, is that I can't
> seem to *not* configure existing network interfaces. What I mean is this: I
> have an Airport card as well as built-in GMAC ethernet.  I don't use the
> GMAC ethernet at all; I only use the airport.  Both of them are properly
> detected, but when I go to configure LAN interfaces, there is no option to
> simply *not* use the GMAC. So I configure it with a dummy IP address. I
> would rather have an option to omit this device from configuration.
>
> Video configuration went great. My display was detected just fine and I
> chose X 4.2.0.
>
> Configuration of yaboot/ybin within the installer was extremely easy and
> painless. It let me set up my triple boot the way I wanted it, and I have
> had to make no changed to my yaboot.conf after configuring in the installer.
>
> Rebooting the system was the 'biggest' problem - the boot device was not
> properly set to the bootstrap partition. Maybe ybin could do this somehow
> within the installer? Luckily, Ben Reser had advised me on how to fix this.
> (Boot with Apple+Option+O+F; Type: setenv boot-device hd:n,\\:tbxi Where n
> is the partition number your boot strap is on.)  With his fix, my system is
> now properly set up to bring up the bootloader.

I think I've addressed this now.

> Notes on system startup:
> Did not boot into the Aurora graphical boot monitor. I seem to recall that
> this was the default in Mandrake 8.0, but it just did the regular text boot
> here.  Maybe this is intended.
> It seems that various libraries were not found, and there were some errors
> in files:
> usb-ohci not found

known usb-ohci is built into ppc kernel - Ben posted an initscripts fix

> cardmgr ./config-opts error on line 8

known error in pcmcia scripts

> YP map server: execvp: no such file
> httpd-perl & httpd: couldn't find libmm.so.1
> SMB & NMB: couldn't find libacl.so.1

may bad - missing libs on CD's

> Notes on graphical login:
> The background on the graphical login screen looked good, however the login
> box itself did not look good. The buttons looked like normal GDK platinum,
> but the background of the login box seemed to be nonexistent. Instead, it
> was the checkerboard-grey of the default X server background. The user icons
> were displayed on top of it, and there was black text that was barely
> visible due to the grey background.  It looks like perhaps it tried to load
> a pixmap for the login box, but was unsuccessful? After logging in and out
> several times, I got various results: sometimes the login box background was
> dark blue, sometimes, black, sometimes the text was clear, sometimes there
> was a moire effect. Errm. For the moment I have switched to runlevel 3 as
> the boot default and am starting X manually.

There have been similar reports on x86, kde* has been going through many
revisions, so hopefully these things will be fixed.

> Notes on various window managers:
>
> GNOME:
> When attempting to start GNOME either manually or through the GUI login, it
> kicks back out with an error message to the effect that it can't find
> libgnomecanvaspixbuf.so.1.
> I couldn't test GNOME because of this.

my bad - missing libs

> KDE:
> KDE started OK and performed as expected.
>
> WindowMaker:
> WindowMaker started OK and performed as expected
>
> Other apps:
> Mozilla: worked as expected
> Evolution: would not start up due to missing library file:
> libbonobo_conf.so.0

evolution on beta1 was broken anyway, even with the right libs, seems to
be wokring now

> Mandrake Control Center:
> Most control center pieces worked surprisingly well. There were only a few
> things I noticed:
> HardDrake: won't start up. Says it's starting up, but then it doesn't...
> Printer config: It didn't detect my USB printer. I ran a manual setup for a
> printer on USB 0, but when trying to print a test page, I got nothing. I am
> sure that there is more I will need to do in order to get this working, but
> from a new-user perspective it would not be trivial.

hardrake/detect are now fixed.  I don't have any usb printers, but I've
seen messages detailing a lot of issues on main cooker list

> Kernel:
> I get frequent errors of the format:
> [drm:r128_cce_indirect] *ERROR* process 2511 using buffer owned by 0
> I don't seem to notice any problems with my display or with graphical
> performance. Is this a serious issue or just a normal error to be expected
> from the DRM module?

r128 is big fun.  Works on some machines, not on others.  beta1 would not
do a graphical install on slot-loading iMacs with r128.  I'm told now that
latest XFree just dies with sig11 on ibook2.

> That's my report.  Hopefully in this upcoming week I will be able to do more
> testing and fix some of the problems.  One thing I would like to try is to
> see if I can use my iPod as a firewire hard drive under Linux. Anyone tried
> this?

I use a standard firewire IDE drive on my Lombard. No fancy iPod here =(

Thanks for the report.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc