On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Michael Marcucio wrote:

> >Hi everyone!
> >
> >Just tried installing Mandrake 8.2 ppc beta, but when it comes to
> >partioning, both in graphical and text mode, it says that:
> >There's not enough space for the bootstrap.
> >There are no partions on my disk.
> >
> >Went to the installer-console, and tried fdisk, and it said kindof the same
> >thing...
> >
> >Pdisk however, found all my partions!
> >
> >Could it be that the installer is using fdisk? In that case: why? Pdisk
> >seems to be working alot better!

It doesn't use either one.

> >Been running Debian 3.0 for some time now, but I decided I wanted to try
> >out
> >KDE 3.0 and XFree 4.2 and I don't want to wait for debian..
> >
> >//ernie
> >
> >Here's a printout from pdisk in MacOS:
> >
> >Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/ata0.0' (/dev/hda)
> >  #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
> >  1:    Partition_Filler                        0 @ 0
> >  2: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
> >  3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
> >  4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
> >  5:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh            200 @ 192
> >  6:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh            512 @ 392
> >  7:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 904
> >  8:           Apple_HFS "MacOS"          1193416 @ 7000000  (582.7M)
> >  9:           Apple_HFS "Install"         100000 @ 6900000  ( 48.8M)
> >10:          Apple_Free Extra            6898584 @ 1416     (  3.3G)
> >11:           Apple_HFS "OSX"            8192000 @ 8193416  (  3.9G)
> >12:           Apple_HFS "Brutus"        32016384 @ 16385416 ( 15.3G)
> >13:           Apple_HFS "Maximus"       32016384 @ 48401800 ( 15.3G)
> >14:          Apple_Free                       56 @ 80418184
> >
> >Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=80418239 (38.3G)
> >DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
> >Drivers-
> >1:  21 @ 64, type=0x701
> >2:  34 @ 118, type=0xf8ff
> >
> it looks like you don't have enough free space(Apple_Free). you only have an
> Apple_Free partition of 56 which is not big enough. try to delete a
> partition(u can use pdisk for this) and try again
> mike

That's what I thought at first glance too, but he does have 3.3GB free.  I
think what's throwing the installer is the arrangement of the partitions,
with partition 10 having blocks that would normally put it between 7 and
8.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc