On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Henrik Farre wrote:

> Yello
>
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:19:43 -0500 (EST)
> Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > That should be enough. It could be something in the mdk kernel and your
> > hardware, or something else going on. you could also try the 2.2 kernel
> > and stage1 image, or post some details of the panic that happens during
> > package install.
>
> If I try to use the 2.2 kernel the installer can't access the cdrom
> drive... I have tryed to insmod diffrent modules but they all fail.

If mesh works for kernel2.4, it should be the same for 2.2.

> Ok here is what I do:
> Use vmlinux and all.gz from the mdk cd, ramdisk size 34000, kernel args
> set to "text". I select:
> danish keymap
> expert
> install
> mesh scsi is installed, I select no to add another interface
> Busmouse|1 button
> ok to mouse button emulation (default settings)
> Dansk as keyboard layout
> High security
> Use exiting partitions. (have partitions set up)
> set hda9 as / (hda8 is swap)
> formats hda9
> deselects "have second cd" (well I have, but lets get cd1 running first :)
> deselects everything else than "other graphical envrioments"

Are you really unselecting everything but "other graphical environments"?
You might want to try going with the recommended package list initially.

> just select ok in package selection
> ... the installer starts ...
> installes some packages then crashes at libglib, producing a lot of output
> (the screen scrolles): Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11
> NIP... (cut)
> TASk = c055a000[12] 'runinstall2' Last syscall: 107
> ... (cut)
> install exited abnormally :-( -- recived signal 11
> sending termination signals...Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11
> NIP... (cut)
> TASK = c0396000[11] 'linuxrc' Last syscall: 82
> ... (cut)
> done
> sending kill signals...done
> unmounting...(cut)
> failed to umount some filesystems
> (the end)
>
> What to do now?

If neither kernel works for you. there's not a lot I can do. The current
kernel seems to work pretty well across a variety of machines.  If you
have a monolithic BenH kernele you built on one of your other
distributions, you could give that a try.  Other than that, I would start
to suspect media or hardware problems,

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/