Kener, Andy wrote:
 > Well, good news here.   A sucessfull install on a Titanium Powerbook G4
 > 500MHz.  I only have a firewire cdrw for removable media, so doing a
cdrom
 > install was out of the question.  I ended up putting the boot files on an
 > hfs partition and booting from OF.  Then i proceeded to do an ftp install
 > from another linux box on the network.  A few tips for those of you
who are
 > triple booting for the first time.  It took me 3 tries to get everything
 > working.  Here are the steps I used:
 >
 > 1) Partition your disk with MacOS partitions first, leaving a big
chunk of
 > freespace for Linux at end of the drive*
 > 2) Then install OS9
 > 3) Then install linux.
 > 4) Then install OSX

I have an ibook 500 (may2001)not as fast but much the same. I have mine
set up slightly different.

1) Partition your disk with MacOS partitions first, leaving a big chunk
of freespace for Linux at end of the drive
2)install mac OS9
3)install OSX
4)install linux

 > * Some people say to put the swap file at the beginning of the drive,
as it
 > is accessed so frequently.  When I did this though, OS9 kept trying
to mount
 > it, and that was annoying.  If anyone knows how to turn this off, let me
 > know :)
 >
 > Note: You may need to reinstall yaboot after installing OSX.  Start the
 > computer with the option key held down. and select linux.  After
adding OSX
 > to your yaboot.conf file, run ybin.

Thats one reason for installing linux last. The OSX install breaks
yaboot, i've also hear of OSX formatting the bootstrap partition if
installed after linux.

 > Note2:       DO NOT, I repeat, Do Not use the UFS filesystem for OSX, as it
 > breaks the Linux bootloader and you'll need to reinstall everything
again.
 > At least, that's the only way I could fix it.  I'm a PC user from waaaay
 > back, but new to the mac scene, and I don't know much about this
stuff yet.

 > So far everything works awesome.  This computer screams, faster than
any x86
 > machine I've ever owned.  I'm in awe here.  Oh, the firewire cdrw.
It's a
 > BusLink 12x10x32 FireWire CD-RW that has iTunes support.  Works in both
 > MacOS9 and X, and under Linux as well.  I have not tried to burn anything
 > yet though.  I didn't really have to do anything to get it working,
except
 > load the kernel modules.  Using the default kernel, it loads as a scsi
 > device.  Seems to work well, and I'll bet it does burn correctly too.

Apart from pmud(still can't get this working correctly), i also am very
pleased with this distro. I've tried a few things with pmud and i'll
carry on working with it, i'll get there. My built in CDRW also shows up
as scsi and does burn very well so yours should as well.

 > Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.  Anyone else using a
tiBook
 > that has any tips or suggestions for me on Mandrake, lemme know.

I have a workfriend who has asked me to help him install MDK on his
tibook this week-end. It's one of the first ones, a 400.I'll post
anything that may be usefull

Colin