On 30 Jul 2002, Brice Figureau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since I've bought my iBook, I wanted to upgrade to cooker ppc (as I do
> it on my pc).
> My first attempts resulted in a severe crash of the computer (mainly
> because updating glibc from 2.2.4 to 2.2.5 seems to break the install).
> I tried again yesterday, but was able to rescue a little bit the
> computer by booting with the rescue cd and installing again all the rpm
> in force mode. It crashed about 10 rpms before the end (too bad) with a
> kind of memory error.
> It fixes the main problem which was that libgcc1 was not installed
> (arghh).
> Anyway after rebooting, my usb mouse or the trackpad are not recognized
> anymore.
> It seems to warn about a missing mousedev module.
> I then booted with the latest benh's kernel, and the mouse's working
> fine with it.
> The upgrade didn't change the kernel.
> Does anyone might have an idea on how to fix this problem ?

Odd - there is no mousedev module, and usb keyboard/mouse are built into
the kernel. You're correct the kernel hasn't been updated. It sounds like
something just foobarred the links for the mouse, or the usb initscript
has issues.   Not sure why Ben's kernel would still work though.

> I was wondering if the proper way to go to cooker ppc wouldn't be to
> rebuild every src.rpm ?

You could I suppose.  I don't know why your doing:

rpm --rebuild some.src.rpm

would be any better than my doing it, but the source is out there.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc