On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Phil Lavigna wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I didn't wait for the new kernel, but here's a short report about a new
> Recommended Installation from the new ISO image and today's RPMs from
> ftp.ciril.fr.

You didn't get mkinitrd errors?  I guess you got lucky :)

>   The new 'install-gui' looked and worked nice on a 550MHz TiBook. Just some
> minor cosmetic things:
>
> 1) The installer uses 1024 x 768 instead of 1152 x 768 which left black space
> on both sides of the screen.

OK.  I'm going to need some info from you to fix this.  I'll follow up a
bit later.  If you could give me 'cat /proc/cpuinfo', it may be enough.

> 2) During X Configuration, the detected monitor was iMac/PowerBook instead of
> TiPowerBook.

I don't think currently any detection goes on there, it just lands at that
entry as a starting point.  Perhaps I can improve on this.

> 3) After selecting the proper monitor, the default selected resolution was
> 1024 x 768.

OK, I'll check that out.

>   These might be general Cooker issues, but after booting to the desktop I
> noticed:
>
> 1) xinetd won't start due to '/usr/sbin/xinetd doesn't exist'. It works after
> manually creating the link from /usr/sbin/xinetd-2.3.9

This should have been setup by "alternatives".

[root@powerbook root]# ls -l /usr/sbin/xinetd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Oct 24 22:05 /usr/sbin/xinetd
-> /etc/alternatives/xinetd*
[root@powerbook root]# ls -l /etc/alternatives/xinetd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Oct 26 16:56
/etc/alternatives/xinetd -> /usr/sbin/xinetd-2.3.9*

This machine has just been constantly urpmi'd, but I checked the iMac
which had a clean install and the links are there also. Not sure what
happened in your case. %post scriptlet error perhaps?

> 2) The Application (root) menu doesn't load in WindowMaker

Think I've seen this in main cooker.  I'll take a look.

> 3) The Mandrake Control Center won't start; the error message is:
> 'Can't call method "get_widget" on an undefined value at
> /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 825' (it's been like that for awhile)

Definitely have seen this several times in main cooker.  A lot of drak
tools are going through re-writes.

> 4) KPersonalizer runs each time the KDE desktop loads (it's been like that
> for awhile)

Yes.  I can't understand why this would be ppc specific, but I guess it
is, I don't see x86 folks complaining about it.  I guess I'll need to dig
into the bowels of kde* and figure out why.

>   Stew -- Even after a clean installation I still couldn't run your
> monitor-detect script, so I performed an 'upgrade' to install the development
> packages (thinking that might be the problem). The upgrade process got stuck
> when cyrus-sasl was being installed (console 1 showed a full-screen of
> continuously scrolling errors that I couldn't read, and console 3 said 'bad
> package cyrus-sasl-1.5.27-6) so I removed that package, regenerated the
> hdlist, then performed an upgrade without a problem.

cyrsus-sasl is broken - good one on my web space - 2GB db file issue.

>   Unfortunately the script still returns ': bad interpreter: No such file or
> directory' when I run it. Sorry, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So strange, it's only 8 or so lines of perl using libDrakx like all the
"drak" tools.  You've already tried running it with perl also right?

perl /home/stew/build/perl-stuff/detect-card.pm
Card: ati
$VAR1 = \{
            'BAD_FB_RESTORE_XF3' => 1,
            'description' => 'ATI|3D Rage LT Pro',
            'VendorName' => 'ATI',
            'BusID' => 'PCI:0:17:0',
            'card_name' => 'ATI Mach64 Utah',
            'Driver' => 'ati',
            'BoardName' => 'ATI Mach64 Utah'
          };
Mac model: PowerBook1,1

That's all I was trying to get at is what card the drak tools detect and
the Mac model from /proc/cpuinfo.  Sounds like card detction worked OK for
you, we just need to force 1152x768, which I can do based on "Mac model".

>   Other than that, it looks real nice. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc