All,

I have managed to get the system installed on Powerbook G4 1Ghz, with Radeon Mobility Video card. Graphical Installation is a bit hard to read, but gets the job done, and the colors straighten out once video is selected in Xserver Configuration.

Attempting to do a raw device dump from a SCSI tape drive.

Background: PCMCIA SCSI Controller Adaptec 1480 SlimSCSI. Startup shows PCMCIA services starting after SCSI driver, fails to load AIC7XXX module, but card works. Rawdevice Service is supposed to start at bootup, but configuation shows it is not running.

Tape Drives used: Seagate Python, Exebyte 8900.

I can make a tar to the tape drive and read the directory off the drive once I have done that. Using DD, I can do a dump from the tape drive
(dd if=/dev/st0 | od -x | more) and read the data from the tar saved to the drive. If I take a tape that has no file system on it, and attempt to do a dump from the tape, I get an I/O error. I think this is related to the rawdevice service not running. When I attempt to start it, it fails.

Is there a problem with this? I know 9.1 is a beta. I loaded it because video support for the Radeon and would like to be able to work in Lab environment. I know this is not a final release. Just checking to see if there is something I can do with this build, or need to step back to 8.2, or wait for 9.1 final.

Charlie Carroll