On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Charles Carroll wrote:

>       All,
>
>       I have managed to get the system installed on Powerbook G4 1Ghz, with
> Radeon Mobility Video card. Graphical Installation is a bit hard to
> read, but gets the job done, and the colors straighten out once video
> is selected in Xserver Configuration.
>
>       Attempting to do a raw device dump from a SCSI tape drive.
>
>       Background: PCMCIA SCSI Controller Adaptec 1480 SlimSCSI. Startup
> shows PCMCIA services starting after SCSI driver, fails to load AIC7XXX
> module, but card works. Rawdevice Service is supposed to start at
> bootup, but configuation shows it is not running.
>
>       Tape Drives used: Seagate Python, Exebyte 8900.
>
>       I can make a tar to the tape drive and read the directory off the
> drive once I have done that.  Using DD, I can do a dump from the tape
> drive
> (dd if=/dev/st0 | od -x | more) and read the data from the tar saved to
> the drive.  If I take a tape that has no file system on it, and attempt
> to do a dump from the tape, I get an I/O error.  I think this is
> related to the rawdevice service not running. When I attempt to start
> it, it fails.
>
>       Is there a problem with this? I know 9.1 is a beta. I loaded it
> because video support for the Radeon and would like to be able to work
> in Lab environment. I know this is not a final release. Just checking
> to see if there is something I can do with this build, or need to step
> back to 8.2, or wait for 9.1 final.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone try to use a tape drive like that.  Afaik,
tapes have no filesystem, and I've always used tar to both write and read
to/from the tape.  Or dump.  I've never used dd.

This method worked in 8.2 I take it?

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.freenode.net #cooker-ppc