Hi,

On Monday 17 February 2003 01:44 pm, Charles Carroll wrote:
>       All,
>
>       Seems to me that older Mac, including my old Powerbook, and
> the various desktops I have, all have an external SCSI Bus port. The
> price of
> a  SCSI CD drive runs between $19.99 for an 8X read only to $99.95 for
> a CDR/RW drive
> with cables and enclosure. These drives are bootable so installation is
> not a problem.
>
>       As the community would gain access to more RPMs and become more
> mainstream with
> various flavors of Unix/Linux it seems like a good idea to me, but that
> is just my opinion.

  I lost Stew's original post, so I'll jump in this thread.

  My concern is: If people can't burn 700 MB CDs (for whatever reason), they
will be unable to install Mandrake PPC unless they purchase the finished
product. For example, if a x86 Mandrake user can't handle 700 MB CDs, they
can simply extract the contents of the ISO to a hard drive (or to another
machine), then create a boot floppy to launch the installer. But New World
Mac users can only boot from a CD, so if they can't create the disc, they're
out of luck.

  If 700MB ISO images are decided upon, maybe an additional package can be
released for creating a minimal boot CD like Stew did for the earlier Cooker
release. Just a thought.

--
Phil Lavigna