Citeren "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> As someone who has done the install on this piece of hardware:
> >> - what should I select fro bus /usb
> >
> > Shouldn't need to select anything - usb is built in.
> > If the installer forces you to, pick keybdev
> Yeah, for some reason it does force you to.

check

> >> - what should I select for sound
> > Normally setup automagically - dmasound_pmac
> Stew's right, this is autodetected and set up fine.

it was complaining about a driver called "" or isa, but perhaps as
a result of selecting a lot of (unneeded) usb / bus stuff,
nevermind I'll wait for RC1

> >> - what should I select for X-Windows
> > Normally setup, or at least attempted - have you actaully run
the
> > installer?

about 12 times, loads of experience with Mandrake i586, but PPC
beta is very very new for me

> With beta 2, it will incorrectly detect your card as a GeForce
2.  You
> will have to manually set it as a GeForce 4.  Also, do not test
X, it hung
> the install 100% of the time for me.  The autodetected
resolution and
> monitor with the manual GeForce 4 selection will work.  Trust
me. :)

check

> >> - how do I format the bootstrap partition by hand
> > hformat
> Hmm..  I wasn't even aware of this utility.  I used the format
command in
> the partition setup part of the installer.
>
> >> - how can I boot newly installed Mandrake from Open Firmware,
boot
> >> hd:11,//?? or something like this
> > Depends on your partitioning scheme.  To boot the linux kernel
directly,
> > or to boot yaboot? Is there a reason you don't want to use
yaboot?

if during the installation yaboot is not installed correctly, I
would like to have a command to boot the '/' partition from open
firmware, just in case things go out of hand

> If this is really the new 12' Powerbook your installing on, it
will
> install the wrong kernel.  I personally would recommend waiting
for RC1.
> Using the resuce disk to install the correct (benh) kernel is
not easy or
> fun.  Hopefully RC1 will install the kernel you booted with
(Will it
> Stew?).  Or at least you should be able to manually pick it in
the package
> selection that Stew recently fixed for us.  (Package selection
was
> nonexistant in beta 2)  There are also issues with yaboot and cpu
> frequency that were recently worked out that make beta 2 not so
fun on
> this hardware.  Also, beta 2's packages are now pretty old and
you'll
> spend a bunch of time downloading new packages.  (This is
nessecary
> because the Drak* tools were broken, at least for me)
>
> My $0.02:  Save yourself the trouble and wait for RC1.

Thanks very much all, I'll wait for RC1. I simply wanted to test
beta 2 and give you guys some feedback.

However I have found some minor things bugs on the installer and
have also a very small partitioning manual which is for most
newbies a welcome addition to installtion documentation on the CD-
ROM. To whom do I send this?

Thanks,

Sander
Zon Breedband Family, 2 keer zo snel als alle andere ADSL aanbieders.
Voor maar 34 euro per maand. Bestel nu op www.zonnet.nl/breedband
Tijdelijk gratis modem en geen aansluitkosten!