On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, John G. Cole wrote:

> I could not get Mandrake 9.1 PPC to install on my 12" Powerbook G4
> (NVIDIA GeForce4) using any of the gui setups.  When I went to
> install-text the installation failed with a keyboard ioctl error (early
> in the installation).  When I installed with install-gui-benh text the
> installation seemed to go fine. (Allocated all remaining free space in
> the installation ~ 15G)
>
> When I choose linux on the bootloader and boot linux the boot fails with
> errors starting with
>
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags (null)
> well, retrying read-only without any flag
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> Remounting devfs at correct place if necessary
> Mounted devfs on /dev
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 160k init 4k chrp 8k prep
> Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

/ isn't getting mounted, although it looks like the initrd loaded

> I don't know what init= option to pass to the kernel -- by the way at
> the top of the screen (above the logo) the kernel is listed as Linux
> 2.4.21-0.13mdk  -- is it possible that the benh kernel was not installed
> somehow?

Quite possible.  It doesn't install automatically, and in text mode, even
if you explicitily select a package, it doesn't install.  If you check the
list archives, there are various workarounds.  If I understand the
situation correctly, rescue won't work either, as the Mandrake kernel
doesn't see the hard drive.

Archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&r=1&w=2

MandrakeSoft