[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi All,

I am hoping someone has some info on what I am seeing on my G3 PB (Pismo). Occationally (say once every 50 sleep/wake-up cycles) the PB freezes upon wake up. Here's what I observe:

   * PB goes to sleep normally up closing the lid (or appears to)
   * Lifting the lid initiates wake-up,
         o The screen appears
         o The backlight comes on
         o The hard drive spins up
   * However the computer is frozen, no mouse, no activity on the
     screen, the PB will not return pings from another computer

I have examined /var/log/messages for any clues. All I see is the PB going to sleep (PMUD entries), and then a restart is the next line. I haven't been able to correlate it to any application (for a while I thought it was ethereal, but I can't reliably recreate it)

I am running the stock Mandrake 9.1 kernel

^^ this could be part of the problem.

But it can also be that apm emulation is not loaded. You have to load a module, i forget the name, apm something. Check if /var/log/XFree.0.log complains about apm not being found. If so, put that module in /etc/modules so it gets loaded at boot.

For me apm emulation was not sufficient to get it working perfectly with
mdk kernel, also the benh kernel in 9.1 was not good enough, it worked
reliable using a newer benh kernel and vide=radeonfb in yaboot.conf.
2.4.20-benh10 is on the club site in testing (including some mdk patches
like supermount).  Planning to put 2.4.21-benh1 in cooker contrib soon
(I'm finishing up lowlatency kernel for i586 first).

d.

Danny,

I did find that the apm_emu wasn't loading (and XFree.0.log was reporting it). I have loaded the module, restarted X, and now I get a nice message (in the XFree.0.log) that "Open APM sucessful".

I do see a change on the screen at wake up now, where the screen looks like it is way zoomed in (pixelated) and black and white, but after X does its refresh upon waking up, my screen is back to normal. I assume this is part of the APM emulation thing.

I don't know if this will fix it (hopefully it will). I'll run this way and see if I don't get any more freezes.

Thanks for the help,

Craig...