All,

I am wondering if there are "other" kernels out there that would solve some of the problems I am having with 9.1. I have tried both 2.4.21-0.13mdk and 2.4.20-benh-9mdk on my G3 (Pismo) power book, and both have problems. The standard kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk exhibits:

  1. Powerbook locks up upon wake up. I did run the apm_emu, but this
     doesn't solve the problem, and I don't really believe it is an X
     problem, because the airport interface doesn't wake up (I can't
     ping the PB) either.
  2. PCMCIA doesn't work with ide-cs.o (a camera flash card). Neither
     kernel works actually. I get a nice lengthy dump, which I can
     post, but I would rather have a kernel (and modules) which work.
  3. MOL networking doesn't work. Ping works, but larger packets (like
     web surfing) don't make it out of MOL

Ben's Kernel 2.4.20-benh-9mdk seems to have the PCMCIA problem (very similar dumps), and today I was having problem mounting multiformat CDs (iso9660 & hfs). The automounter (which runs as part of nautilus, or so it appears) doesn't mount the CD properly. Root can mount the cd explicitly with a mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom. But that is a pain.

I have used easy urpmi to point to the core distro, external addons, even PLF. Doing a urpmq -r kernel yields only the 2 kernels (listed above).

So, is anyone using a kernel other than these two, on a G3 (Pismo) PB, and have these things, which I have listed, working?

I don't even mind compiling a kernel, but it would be nice to know that someone else actually had it working first.

Thanks for the help,

Craig...