On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Finally I got round to making a new benh kernel. For people with club
>access, it is here (announcement also below):
>http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Splatt_Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=9957&forum=5

Thanks, I got installed the normal one (not the smp). But when I added
a yaboot entry with drakboot, it put lines such as:
image=/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]:13,/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:13,/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:13,/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:13,/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

instead of:

image=/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]:13,/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

for instance. The boostraping did a parse error and I couldn't boot
anything. I had to use a knoppix live CD and correct the yaboot.conf
file manually. Then it worked.

>I hope for some feedback on people with more experience with PPC machines
>than I have. I have tried to keep config options close to old benh kernel.

I'm not experienced but anyway here is my first feedback:

machine: ibook 2 rev 2 G3 700 combo with radeon M6
system: MDK9.1-ppc

I used video=radeonfb ; the linux bootstrap was in text mode. Everything
was [OK]. I then started X and it works but when I put the machine to
sleep, and wake it up the sreen displays kind of an ugly zoom on the top
left corner of the former screen and the system is frozen. When I use
the former benh kernel (2.4.20-benh9) the system wakes up, the display
is reactive (although not usable) with a messy display (3 mouse cursors,
horizontal blinky lines everywhere, ...).

Other problem, I still get a the very-very-dark console mode problem
with this new kernel. ie before starting X I can switch to and use every
virtual consoles but once X is started their display is so dark that I
can use them anylonger.

I don't know if its a X configuration problem or a kernel/driver related
one.

> (...)
>
> note that if you got a radeon > 7500, you may want to boot with
>video=radeonfb

Is the radeon of ibook 2.2 700MHz > 7500 or not ? (It is actually a
Radeon Mobility M6 LY). Should I use radeonfb or ofonly ?

Cheers,

Olivier