On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Tomas Taylor wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for the feedback on ethernetting.   I'm going to postpone that
> project until I get Java and gcc up, spattered with some JNI.  It seems
> I just have to find a free server for MacOS X.  (On the other hand the
> MacOS 8.6 functions great as a server without server software!)  For
> the short term, all of my development files will fit on one CD.
>
> The immediate problem is modem configuration:
>
> The gnome-ppc gives this error: The pppd daemon died unexpectedly.
>
> kppp goes like this:
> kppp can not find: /dev/modem
> Please make sure you have setup your modem device properly and/or
> adjust the location of the modem device on the modem tab of the setup
> dialog.
>
> Hardware of Control Center shows five PCI devices on the PowerBook G3.
> I can do some research to find out which PCI device is the modem.  If
> you would like this information let me know.
>
> I didn't look real hard, but I didn't see any help or links to Modem
> Configuration?
> Tomás

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# modprobe macserial
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# dmesg | grep tty
tty00 at 0xd5a52020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC (internal modem)
tty01 at 0xd5a59000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC (IrDA)

add an alias if this grants access to your modem in /etc/modules.conf:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# grep serial /etc/modules.conf
alias serial macserial

If the programs only accept /dev/modem, you may to make a symlink for the
device:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ls -l /dev/modem
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            5 Sep  3 18:40 /dev/modem -> ttyS0

MandrakeSoft