Kaixo!

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 08:50:02PM +0100, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:

> them will probably never compile, and that's fine ;-) But here is a list
> of packages that at one point _must_ compile. I beleive they are a part
> of the "base":
>
> console-tools-0.2.2-3mdk.src.rpm
> kernel-2.2.14-1mdk.src.rpm    --> mucho problems... ;-)

I think that the standard kernel only compiles out of the box on intel
platforms; for alpha/ppc/m68k/etc patches must be applied; so a lot of
%ifarch ... will be necessary on the spec file for the kernel.

> lilo-0.22-17mdk.src.rpm               --> milo??

And not only that; but the installer will need to be able to handle non-PC
booting; and non-PC hard disk partitionning.

> sh-utils-2.0-2mdk.src.rpm
> tar-1.13.14-1mdk.src.rpm
> util-linux-2.10b-2mdk.src.rpm --> need to install glibc 2.1.2-7mdk?

Those three have nothing arch specific; if they don't compile out of the
bow that is a bug that should be reported to the authors.

> console-tools-0.2.2-3mdk.src.rpm:
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/console-tools-0.2.2/doc'
> sgml2html lct.sgml
> make[2]: sgml2html: Command not found

That is not an arch problem.

chanae:~$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/sgml2html
sgml-tools-1.0.9-3mdk

It seems t ohave disappeared from Cooker/Oxygen; but you can get the src.rpm
from the sources CD of Linux Mandrake 6.0; then build it on your alpha
and console-tools should build ok.

> mkbootdisk-1.2.4-1mdk.src.rpm:
> Architecture is not included: alpha
> Installing /mirrors/mandrake-devel/SRPMS/mkbootdisk-1.2.4-1mdk.src.rpm

In my experience I found that the exclusivearch: line is often abused
in the spec files; some programs that aren't arch specific having them
(one example was the smbmount package; smbmount has no reason to don't work
on an alpha)

However; the boot sequence isn't the same on a PC and an alpha; so in this
case chances are high that it indeed must not compile on an alpha; same
for:

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga