Kaixo!

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 02:53:55PM -0200, Paulo Schreiner wrote:

> Im currently using xfstt to render True Type fonts under X, but I heard
> that the latest releases of xfs had this feature implemented. Is this
> working in Oxygen?

Yes; we ship with an xfs that has True Type spport (based on x-tt in fact;
look at your /usr/doc/XFree86-xfs-3.3.*/ directory for more details).
That is the case since long ago.

> If so, where are the fonts stored,

Just into a directory; contrary to xfstt our support of True Type fonts is
done exactly the same way as for any other kind of fonts supported by X11:
you just need a fonts.dir file, that's all.

A 'ttmkfdir' utility is provided in the freetype package to help you
create that file.

> And do they work on printing?

'yudit', a unicode text editor can use True Type fonts for printing (only
one at a time).
Whan printing with ghostscript the main problem is in fact to have the
Postscript file link to / include the proper fonts. That is not the case; it
seems that the programs generating postscript think that only two or three
postscript fonts exist in the world; it is really very complicated to
print choosing the fonts.

I think the solution to that will come from the desktop suites like Gnome
and KDE, by providing a centralized and standardized way for applications
to generate printable pages.

Currently you can use them to print with several kind of applications, but
not in any unified way, and that involves generally some manual intervention.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.ping.be/~pin19314/           PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975