I have had this problem on more than one occasion !

Poor old Netscape gets the blame for everything, too much M$ hype maybe !

However I now turn to two things if Netscape starts to crash often, or will not
start.

1)   Rogue plugins. I know, "I've been using these plugins for ages and they've
never been bad before". My favourite for removal is the Real Player 5.0 plugin.
Netscape will sometimes just close down with this plugin installed.

2)   Second, I once (and only once !) made the mistake of installing the
official OSS sound driver. Netscape claimed Bus Error and would not start up.
Not that I'm suggesting you're using the official OSS sound driver, but have
you installed anything out of the ordinary lately ! Actually installing XFree86
3.3.6 screws me up at the moment (no KFM, no Kpanel, no true type fonts etc.,
but no one at cooker is listening to me so I've gone back to 3.3.5) so it may
not even be anything out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps in some way,

Owen