Pixel wrote:

> Neil Koozer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Pixel wrote:

> > > grub does the same, and it *does* handle scsi :ppp
> >
> > I was unaware that grub would boot above 1023 on pre-existing machines
> > (the ones that people try to install linux on).  I thought it depended
> > on the extended bios to do this.  The latest version of lilo also
> > detects and uses extended bios calls.
>
> ok, i should have shut up :)
>
> i saw the extended bios handling in grub, but not in lilo (not the latest
> version maybe)

It's lilo version 22, but it might not be released.  The extended bios
stuff was added by another programmer other than Werner, and the last I
heard he was trying to get Werner to adopt it as version 22.  I've seen
postings referring to lilo22, but it's not on metalab, so I'm not sure.

> you do have a point, i agree! isn't the extended bios call available on most
> modern boxes?

I don't know how widespread it is; I haven't figured out a way to find
out.  I'm just fed up with bios's.  I have one PC whose bios can not
write correctly to a floppy, so it is impossible to make a boot disk
with rawrite (this was my only PC back when I first installed Linux).

Neil.

p.s.  I'll be gone for the weekend, so if there's more discussion on
this I won't be able to participate til later.