On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 10:52:39AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Pixel wrote:
> >
> > Jeff Garzik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > If you use the linear option, you can bust with 1024 cyl barrier with
> > > current production LILO too.
> >
> > are u sure? lilo does not use the extended bios function
>
> Haven't tested, but Andre Hedrick said this on lkml very recently...

LILO may be able to break the 1024 cylinder barrier, but it _cannot_ break
the 8G barrier,. This is bacause of how lilo stores the sector address. The
address is only 24bits + drive specifier  (8bits, 1 used as LINEAR address
identifier)+ sector count (8 bits).

I am already looking into this and maybe in two weeks I will have it ready.
(I already rewrote the primary loader to use both the old and the new int13
interface). In the current state, I aim at being able to address sector
using 32bits (the Int13 extensios alllow upto 64bits), which would push the
barrier to 2TB.

From  : Robert 'Niteshadow' Varga
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGPkey: http://hq.alert.sk/~niteshadow/pgpkey.txt

PGP signature