On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, Pixel wrote:

> known install bugs not corrected (that i remember):
> - install not booting (stage2 not found and alike errors)
> :( -> can't be reproduced
> - install X server not working (GTK saying can't connect to X server)
> :( -> can't be reproduced
> - promise not detected
> (patch available at www.linux-mandrake.com/en/airlast.php3, but it seems it doesn't
>work)
> - PS/2 mistakenly detected
> (patch available at www.linux-mandrake.com/en/airlast.php3, but it seems it doesn't
>work?)
> - no PCI box (patch available at www.linux-mandrake.com/en/airlast.php3)
> - chineese Big5 is not displayed correctly
> (workaround: boot install with ``linux mem=39M)
> - bulgarian not displayed correctly
> - bad symlink /dev/cdromX to hdX in case of ide burner
> (fix: change the link to scd0 (or maybe scd1...))

Allow me to continue your llist just a little bit <g>.   My comments are based
on 7.0, not the new 7.0-2, and refer to a Customized Development
installation.

Install steps on the left are upside down - Configure X should be at
the top, Select Installation Class at the bottom.    Progress is
conventionally displayed as left to right or upwards (Climbing a tree, the
path to heaven, etc.).  so as better to conform to a traffic signal etaphor,
and conform to 1st quadrant geometry that every one is used to and
understands.

The installation class is input before the install/upgrade decision.    This
is frustrating nonsense because during an update the installation class cannot
be changed from what was selected at the initial installl.    IMO, it's a
basic requirement that it should be able to be changed, including deleting
RPMs.

Install or Update should include a third option - update from another
Mandrake on another partition (used read-only).    Essential!

The input of networking information is too late, since networking
characteristics influence the selection of RPMs to install.

Ipchains is not set up according to the security level chosen - you just
can't talk about medium or high security without this.

/etc/hosts is not set up - the networking information collected should
include what is necessary to do this.

The directory setup under /mnt is useless for networked machines.   Each
machine needs a /mnt/local/<whatever> and a /mnt/remote/<whatever> or
/mnt/<machine>/<whatever>.  Otherwise total confusion reigns.

The booting process adds  /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom, etc if they do not exist.
Surely this process should work from the contents of /etc/fstab?

Further, this directory creation is done AFTER the local filesystems are
mounted.

Crazy mount points and desktop icons are set up, eg 'DOS_hda5'.   Why are
these not /mnt/local/C, /mnt/local/D, etc?       There is no need for the
desktop icons if the much better kdf is used (see below).

If a mount directory specified in /etc/fstab does not exist, the whole bootup
process falls over.

Supermount is fixed to only accept a vfat floppy.   Set fs=auto and modprobe
complains 'no such module'.  Ext2 floppies must be mountable.

Kdf is not installed.  Pixel reports that it 'will not compile'.    Yet the
kdf rpm from from 6.1 installs and works perfectly as long as it was an
initial install.    It won't install on an upgrade installation.      Kdf is
a critically vital part of KDE.

The nfs-utils RPM is not installed.    Without this there can be no
networking.

The nfs daemon is not started in SysVInit.     Therefore no networking.
This was true of 6.1 as well.

/etc/exports is not set up.  Without this done on all machines on a network,
no machine can mount directories on other machines on the same network.

Enough for now?

 --

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.