Extremely strange.  Here's some details..

Make sure you have a file named "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo".

If you don't, it's a plain text file.  Create it.  Permissions on mine are
root/root 755.
Here's some contents:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

After creating this file, or verifying it's existance, use the command "ifup
lo" to start it without rebooting.  The line above, ONBOOT=yes, will ensure
that it's started from now on during boot.  If yours is set to no, fix it.

If for some reason THAT doesn't work (generates an error), you have a
SERIOUS problem.

Don Head
Linux Mentor
1 800 826-4640 x1942