ok did.  at command prompt and all 3 returned "...wrong fs type, bad option,
bad superblock on /dev/hdd, or too many mounted file systems."

w/o -t "../dev/hdd: Input/output error  ...you must specify fs type"

even tho' i did do a modprobe "ide-floppy", this leads me to believe that i may
have to rebuild the kernel to start the module......maybe also go over the
"atapi - floppy" module also?

do know that after rebuilding the kernel on prior mandrakes' that it usually
worked.