I just installed Mandrake 7.0 for Alpha, and here's a list of what's been
wrong:

        * DiskDrake crashed when I clicked on the empty space on the raid
device to create a partition, saying "cannot read 'num_cyls' on an
unblessed reference" or something to that effect (I now wish I had paid
more attention). The MD device was made of two, approximately 2GB
partitions, one each on /dev/sdb1 and on /dev/sdc1, or both on /dev/sdb5
and /dev/sdc5 (which are DiskDrake's defaults, for some reason, always
creating an extended partition even when there is no primary)

        * I received a warning of some sort about space ("A full install
needs 1302mb, but that's okay"), or something to that effect.

        * I installed a bunch of packages that I felt were missing, mostly
          from RedHat 6.2, if not, from RedHat Powertools 6.2 or HelixCode
                * sudo
                * krb5-*
                * krbafs-*
                * pam-0.72-6
                * pam_krb5-1-7
                * mpg123-0.59r-4
                * rpm-*-3.0.4-0.48
                * smpeg-*-0.3.1-2

                * all the HelixCode GNOME stuff, which, by the way, rocks.
                * gob, from the author, so their gnome-pilot RPM
                  ould build.
                * mikmod-3.1.6-6 from RedHat, because the Helix XMMS won't
                  build against the mandrake mikmod/libmikmod
                  packages

        * sound was never configured (I have a nice simple AD 1848 card,
          too... nice and easy to find), so I installed, from RedHat 6.2:
                * awesfx-0.4.3a-3
                * sndconfig-0.44-1
                * playmidi-2.4-9

All in all, fairly painless install... no "problems" (ie: can't boot),
just the weirdness with the hard drives was the big one (I just made the
raid array after install, then moved /home to it)... Now to find SSL and
SSH SRPMs that will actually build on an alpha... <sigh>

Oh, and just a note... the fact that Postfix is installed by default over
Sendmail is a stroke of genius. Thank you. (I always download it and
install it on my RedHat systems, this first shot at Mandrake was
great! It's the way things "Should be done" mostly)

Rick Stewart