Till Kamppeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The advantage of having a
> distribution with ide-cd.o as module is that one could modify kudzu for
> automatically recognizing a CD burner (loading ide-scsi and afterwards
> giving 'cdrecord -scanbus' and 'cdrecord -dev x,y,z -checkdrive' for
> every drive found, see 'man cdrecord') and loading the correct drivers.
> So even beginners can burn (with X-CD-Roast 0.96ex2 or 0.98). The
> lilo.conf solution needs a reboot and so is unsuitable for kudzu. It's
> only good for manual configuration which is not nice for beginners and
> except CD-burning on IDE writers Mandrake is a beginner-friendly Linux,
> why not also with these devices?

ok, first time i see someone telling ide-cd should in module, but knowing it
isn't really necessary :)

as for having ide-cd in module, i think it could be a nice idea (at install, all
ide is already in module), but the main pb is that people are not used to, at
least if we would put all ide in module, then you would not boot without initrd.
Having only ide-cd as module may be a good mid-solution.