Ok, so it was a corrupt floppy as someone mentioned before. now the floppy
is good, all the md5sums match (though i didn't do badblocks because i
dont know the parameters to use for checking a floppy, man page wasn't too
helpful there for me). So now when i boot it (either from setting boot
from drive a in bios, or from choosing 'floppy' from lilo) it starts the
mandrake cooker install program but when i get to the screen asking for
partition and directory it says:

'Device hda8 does not appear to contain a Linux Mandrake installation
tree.
There should be a directory Mandrake, there's only:'

nothing listed after the 'only:'

so i did: cat /dev/mstab and /home is on /dev/hda8, i mirrored the cooker
to /home/ejs/cooker so i thought i would have to select /dev/hda8 for the
partition and choose /home/ejs/cooker/ for the path but that gave me the
above error message. so then i thought well, mstab lists /dev/hda8 as
/home so i thought maybe i dont need to specify the /home part of the path
so i did just /ejs/cooker, still didn't work, then i did ejs/cooker
(leaving off the first / ) and it erased the screen and put a blinking
square cursor in the bottome left of the screen and proceeded to do
nothing.

also, when i get to the screen which prints the message from above:
'Device hda8 does not ...' choosing cancel does absolutely nothing and i
had to hit the reset button my puta causing the check to be forced on the
next boot.

help, :)
eric.

the mirrored cooker doesn't have to be on its on partition or something
does it? anyway, when i figure all this stuff out i'll write up a newbies
guide for all this stuff that can maybe be linked off the cooker mandrake
page so people wont have to keep asking stuff like this all the time. thx.