Hi,
---

Why not simply use the IDE SCSI emulation (ide-scsi.o) as default driver
for IDE CD-ROM drives? Then one doesn't need any autodetection of CD
writers. If one has one, one starts 'cdrecord' and it works, if not, the
normal CD-ROM drive works under SCSI emulation without any problems,
too. And you can rip audio with cdda2wav (e. g. for making MP3).
cdda2wav does not recognize IDE drives without SCSI emulation.

What are the disadvantages of using a simple CD-ROM drive with the SCSI
emulation?

   Till