Steve Bergman wrote:

> fdisk has no problems with it and I don't think that disk druid does
> either but I'm not absolutely certain.  Mandrake 7.0, 7.1beta1, and
> 7.1beta2 all take one look at it and say that the "partition table is too
> corrupted for me' and then says that it will start deleteing bad
> partitions.

I am not the bearer of good news.  The industry fact is that there is
no agreed standard industry-wide about disk partitioning on PCs.
Microsoft systems keep the partition table entries in start cylinder
order, Unix & Linux traditionally have kept them in creation time
order, there are two different types of extended partitions, Disk
Druid has a bad record for doing anything right, the new DrakX
partitioner can apparently generate overlapping partitions, and so
on.

This all has become general knowledge (you got left out it seeems).
The only logical approach is to choose only one partitioning tool
that produces partitions that all the OSs can read and write and do
not use anything else, EVER!   The best known and most mature
candidate is Partition Magic 5.0, which unfortunately is commercial
software - but worth every penny (as you are discovering <G>).  PM
includes a DOS utility PARTINFO on its rescue floppies that can scan
your partition tables and report on many situations.  Don't use a
physical drive until the PARTINFO report ahows no warnings or errors.

Exceptions: You can use Disk Druid and the DrakX partitioner, but
ONLY for setting mount points.  You can use the Linux fdisk, but ONLY
for changing partition types and for its very nice undocumented
ability to list partition tables from the command line, eg fdisk -l
/dev/hda

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.