Buchan Milne wrote:
> > Not really. The reason that GNOME uses 'Close' and not 'Save' or
something
> > else, is that it uses instant-apply where possible. So the changes have
> > already been effectuated before closing the window.
> >

> Which means if you made a mistake, you can't just choose cancel (or hit
> ESC), you have to remember what setting you had before, and set it back
> to that. Really bad UI IMHO. Expect users to make mistakes often, and
> make it easy for them to recover from them ...
>
> Buchan

Actually, this whole (sub)thread is in reply to the confusion of the
existing apply/abandon pair "quit" and "save and quit". The original poster
had remarked that he didn't understand why he couldn't quit and cancel all
changes; it's because the buttons only apply to the checkboxes. All other
chnages are applied in sub-dialog boxes.

My suggestion was to replace the button pair with "close" and have the
checkboxes take immediate effect. As the current buttons only apply to the
checkboxes, and the checkboxes are nondestructive, a cancel button is
overkill.

The main point is that there is no abandon ability in the main window for
destructive actions made in the child dialog boxes. The abandon action is
only available in the "edit"/"update"/... subdialogs. Thus, a "close" button
in the main window removes the unclear intention and doesn't penalize the
user.

John