OS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This may seem like a strange thing to do but I have a requirement to have a
> user who only has 16bpp, while everybody else will be on 24bpp. (This is so a
> product which runs using WINE will run correctly.)
>
> Is there a way of getting different XF86Config's for different users ? X says
> it no longer looks for XF86Config files in the $HOME directory, so that idea
> failed !

Never heard of this, but I'm also newbie on that question. Maybe fred
could help you out, he's an X-guru :-) ?

> Another solution would be to change colour depth during the X session. I
> remember reading somewhere that something like <Ctrl> + <Alt> + '-' would do
> this, but it has never worked for me !

It should work if you have the different video modes and valid modeline in
the XF86Config file ; however this will only AFAIK change the resolution,
not the bit depth.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau